I Remember, I Remember - Thomas Hood | BOSEM Class 9 English Literature Reader

Board of Secondary Education Manipur
Class: IX
English Literature Reader (Poetry)
Chapter: 5

I Remember, I Remember

Thomas Hood

I remember I remember

Substance/Summary of the Poem

The poem "I Remember, I Remember" by Thomas Hood focuses on an adult's longing for the past as they reminisce about their childhood. The speaker nostalgically recalls the enchanting elements of their youth, such as the home of their birth, the captivating trees and flowers, and the joy found in simple pleasures. Each stanza contrasts these cherished childhood memories with the speaker's current, more complex understanding of the world as an adult.

Paraphrase

I remember, I remember,
The house where I was born,
The little window where the sun
Came peeping in at morn;
He never came a wink too soon,
Nor brought too long a day,
But now, I often wish the night
Had borne my breath away! 
I recall, I recall,
The home of my birth,
The small window where the sun
Would peek in at dawn;
It never arrived too early,
Nor stayed too long,
But now, I often wish the night
Had taken my last breath away.

I remember, I remember,
The roses, red and white,
The vi’lets, and the lily-cups,
Those flowers made of light!
The lilacs where the robin built,
And where my brother set
The laburnum on his birthday,—
The tree is living yet!

I recall, I recall,
The red and white roses,
The violets, and the lilies,
Those flowers that seemed to glow!
The lilac bushes where the robin made its nest,
And where my brother planted
The laburnum on his birthday—
That tree is still alive!

I remember, I remember,
Where I was used to swing,
And thought the air must rush as fresh
To swallows on the wing;
My spirit flew in feathers then,
That is so heavy now,
And summer pools could hardly cool
The fever on my brow!

I recall, I recall,
Where I used to play on a swing,
And imagined the air must feel as refreshing
To birds flying in the sky;
At that time, my spirit felt light as feathers,
But now it feels burdened,
And even the summer pools couldn't soothe
The heat on my forehead.

I remember, I remember,
The fir trees dark and high;
I used to think their slender tops
Were close against the sky:
It was a childish ignorance,
But now ’tis little joy
To know I’m farther off from heav’n
Than when I was a boy.

I recall, I recall,
The tall and dark fir trees;
I used to believe their slender tops
Were touching the sky:
It was a childish lack of knowledge,
But now it brings little happiness
To realize that I'm farther from heaven
Than when I was a boy.

Solved Textbook Questions and Answers

I. Answer the following questions in a sentence each.

1. Where did the robin build its nest?

Ans.: - The robin built its nest in the lilac tree.

2. What did the poet remember as he used to swing?

Ans.: - The poet recalled how, as he swung, he would imagine the air feeling as invigorating to the birds soaring in the sky, and how his spirit felt as weightless as feathers.

II. Answer the following questions briefly.

1. In the first stanza, what does the poet remember of the sun?

Ans.: - In the opening verse of the poem, the poet reflects on the morning sunlight streaming through the window, gently rousing him from sleep. He fondly recalls the sun's punctuality, as it faithfully heralds the start of each day.

2. Is the poet happy with his present condition? How do you know?

Ans.: - No, the poet is unhappy with is present condition. Throughout the poem, he conveys a contrast between the past and the present state of being. This comparison indicates the poet's discontent with their present circumstances. The shift from a carefree and joyful past to a current state marked by tension, worry, despair, stress, and longing suggests a sense of being distanced from blessings and genuine happiness as a result of aging.

3. Explain 'those flowers made of light'?

Ans.: - The poet mentioned various species of flowers from his childhood days which added so much beauty to life. The flowers were so bright and beautiful that he compared them with light. Hence, "Those flowers made of light."

4. What does the poet remembers of his brother?

Ans.: - The poet has a vivid recollection of the laburnum tree that his brother planted on one of his birthdays, which still stands in the same spot.

5. "My spirit flew in feathers then." What does the poet mean by it?

Ans.: - When the poet reminisces about the days when he used to swing, he reflects on how his spirit was once similar to that of the birds – light and carefree. However, now he feels burdened by concerns and anxieties that did not affect him during his youth.

6. The poet says that he is 'farther away Heavens'. What is the poet's heaven?

Ans.: - Hood remembers that as a young child, he perceived the tall fir trees as if they were reaching the heavens. However, as an adult, he came to understand that the fir trees are not actually touching the heavens. The poet reflects that his personal heaven is his childhood, when his innocence kept him feeling close to heaven and God.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You Ma'am - Langston Hughes | BOSEM Class IX English Literature Reader

The Taste of An Hilsa | BOSEM Class 9 English

Song of the Flower - Khalil/Kahlil Gibran | BOSEM English Literature Reader Class X